Sunday, February 1, 2009

Why is social capital starting to decline?

Dave, Anna, and Kayleigh…..

We all think that social capital is all of a sudden declining is because of the people in the United States now these days. I think people are starting to be more dishonest with each other than they used to. Another reason is because, with all the technology we have now these days (cell phones, facebook, etc.) is what’s really starting to make social capital decline. But for some places, especially in the southeast, they are usually more diverse. Dave lives in a small town between Spartanburg and Greenville, South Carolina. It’s called Cowpens, South Carolina. The social capital there is in small community, so everybody knows everybody. However, the majority of the town is rednecks, so they judge people for what they are (race, what they wear, religion, gay/bisexual). I would not want to live there because its not who I am, and I would regret living there for the rest of my life. Kayleigh lives in Pfafftown, North Carolina. She says that the social capital there is not great. “Pfafftown is a really small area. But there are good amounts of people that live here. I live in a little development but not many people truly know each other. I know the names of a few people but that is about it. And my mom is a good friend with just a few different families in this area. I think the social capital is better between the kids. Because my little brother and sister are always out playing with the neighbor kids somewhere.”

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the point that social capital is better between kids. Kids and teens live in a world of texting and facebook, both ways that makes communitcating easier. Where kids in an area all grow up together, the majority of parents in an area don't know each other because most have moved from another town or state. I find it really interesting with your lab that even in small towns, social capital is weak.

    ^Caroline Phillips =]

    ReplyDelete